How it all started...

For years now, my colleagues and I have shared stories of our greatest frustrations and achievements in the teacher's lunch room or during our planning, or even after school and on weekends.

Recently, while checking out at a local convenience store downtown, the cashier (a stranger to me) asked me if anything interesting had happened in my life that day. Immediately I thought to myself something along the lines of: Boy, is he going to regret asking me that in a minute. I'm a middle school teacher- of COURSE something interesting happened in my life today!

As I started to think back on my day though, I realized that I couldn't pick out a singular interesting event. After 4 years of teaching middle school, I think all of the events that make up a typical day at school have started to seem routine. So, that is the purpose of this blog. In a time when education seems to be getting pushed to the back burner, class sizes are increasing, salary raises are a thing of the past, and furlough days are all too common, I want a place to reflect on the events of each day and award them the value they deserve. Come join me as I provide a glimpse into the rollercoaster world of middle school- the ups, the downs, and everything in between.

Friday, March 25, 2011

Trust Falls Take Over

My homeroom students have been getting slightly out of control lately.  They are still following the major classroom rules, but when they the come to science class, they continue our more friendly HR bond and are more outgoing than their classmates.  Example # I-lost-count-last-week:  A student walks into my 6th period class and screams "TRUST FALLLLLL" as he falls into me.  Of course, I had no idea what was going on and greeted him with a blank stare instead of the open arms he was hoping for.  Oops!  Luckily, he only stumbled before he caught his balance.  At the end of the class, he approached me and I thought he was getting ready to ask me a science-related question (he's been full of them lately, which is wonderful!)...nope, I was wrong.  He once again shouted "TRUST FALLLLL", but this time I was there to make sure he did not fall.  He laughed and walked out the door, grinning from ear to ear.  I think it's safe to say we, students and teachers alike, are all ready for Spring Break. :)


HOMEWORK: Check out the Tosh.O episode clip where I'm sure my student got the idea...hilarious to me, disturbing that he watches Tosh every night...I think.  Also, if you go to YouTube, there are now plenty of amateur trust fall videos being posted with Tosh.O in the title.  Yikes...be on the lookout for trust falls! 

No comments: